Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Belle of Amherst

The play is the thing! I've just been to a one woman play about Emily Dickinson called, "The Belle of Amherst." Absolutely loved it - very informative and historically satisfying!
Here are some pictures of the stage. Photos were not allowed during the performance, but you can get an idea of what it looked like.



I also dug up some photos of other performances and playbills from the internet.


Here is a video clip performance of the play that I found on youtube, and another interesting one that shows her home.




Emily Dickinson wrote beautiful words, most of which I am (currently) ignorant of. I was thrilled at the performance tonight to recognize four or five of the poems as they were quoted. Emily is worth investigating should you want to know more, like I do!
Emily Dickinson Museum
International Society
Wikipedia
Poets.org
Online Literature
1976 Movie Starring Julie Harris
Study guide of the play
10 Facts About Emily Dickinson


Two of my favorite Dickinson poems
~~~~~~~~~~
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~~~~~~~~~~
TO make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.
The revery alone will do
If bees are few.

No comments:

Post a Comment