Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Thorn With Roses

Do you ever hold,
What is holding you back,
Tightly to yourself?
You want to let go, but cannot.
It hurts to hold it close,
It hurts to let it go.
It seemed to be what you wanted,
When you reached for it,
And brought it into your heart,
But now it's a thorn in your side,
Even in it's beauty.
'A thorn with roses'
And that's what you feel you are.
Sometimes the rose,
Sometimes the thorn.
The beauty and the beast in one. 
But never only one without the other.
You realize it is yourself,
Holding yourself back.
Only you can let it go,
But you can't or don't want to. 
Fear takes over for you.
You don't know how to begin.
It only takes one step,
No matter how small.
It only takes practice,
And soon you will see,
It hurts to hold it close,
But you gain freedom,
When you can finally let it go.


5 comments:

  1. Now I'm on my way
    I'll be there someday
    With God's help
    I'll become myself
    I'll become myself
    God hovers over chaos
    He hovers over me
    He makes all things beautiful
    And it's beautiful to see
    I'll get there someday
    With God's help
    I'll become myself"
    (Susan Ashton, Thief)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That image by Kay Nielsen is so poignant. Your words are inspiring too. It's frustrating how hard it is to let things go that aren't good for us. But it's also wonderful how when we take the step we know we need to and follow the Creator's call, however scary it is to do that we immediately find that He's prepared the way for us already, and it's better than anything we could ever have planned for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Grace.
    I think I saw that picture on your blog and instantly loved it. Those words are what it makes me think of when I see the picture.
    Wish it wasn't so hard to let things go, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. And yes, I do know exactly what you mean.

      Delete