Friday, June 11, 2010

Charlotte Bronte: The Self Conceived

Book Share Fridays: Charlotte Bronte: The Self Conceived
I read this book last summer after stumbling on it at a used bookstore. It was brand new and wrapped up in plastic for some reason. Before I opened it, I guessed it to be an unbound book of loose pages, but discovered it was indeed bound as the plastic wrap came off.

The book is a biography of Charlotte Bronte, eldest of the four surviving Bronte family siblings. It was written by Helene Moglen, and I highly recommend it as one of the best biographies of the Brontes that is available.

Details about Charlotte's personal life are intertwined with each of her novels and Moglen shows how Charlotte's personal experiences, thoughts, and spirit are played out in the novels.

If you are interested in the Bronte's like I am, (I confess to being slightly obsessed with them), or even have only a slight interest, I highly recommend this book. I literally could not put it down, and read it in less than two days. It is a fascinating look into the life and psyche of a complicated and brilliant writer, who thought ahead of her time, but felt constrained by her society.

No comments:

Post a Comment