Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Larkspur Listens

I don't really need an excuse to celebrate flowers - but I found one! Birthday flowers. Not the kind you receive as a gift..., rather, the month you are born in has been given a flower in honor of it.
Have you heard of this? I know about the language of flowers, but birthday flowers are something new to me.
For example, the July birthday flower is larkspur - it's meaning is "lightness and levity." A perfect description for a summery occasion, as well as a flower.
Here are some larkspur beauties~ (the very last stunning photo is of the 'Baker's Larkspur,' which sadly has become an endangered species. To read about them and find out why they are endangered, go here.) Photos are from flowerinfodotorg)




The red rose cries, 'She is near, she is near;'
And the white rose weeps, 'She is late;'
The larkspur listens, 'I hear, I hear;'
And the lily whispers, 'I wait.'

-Alfred Lord Tennyson

2 comments:

  1. My birthday's tomorrow, so I'm a July-baby, and absolutely love my birth flower! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! You do have a lovely birthday flower~

    ReplyDelete