Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Yellow Wallpaper


The Yellow Wallpaper is a short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, first published in 1892. It centers around a Victorian woman who has lost a child and is suffering from depression. Her husband, a doctor, takes her to a country home to recuperate. The bedroom wall is hung with yellow wallpaper and the woman descends into an insanity involving the wallpaper.

It sounds quite grusome and depressing, but it is an excellent book and a fascinating look into Victorian society.

You can read the short story online, here.

There is a new film that has just finished production, based on the book, but with a slightly different storyline. Here are some stills from the movie, directed by Logan Thomas. Read an update here.




3 comments:

  1. Hello

    I would like to tell you that you have built a wonderful site, combining a dreamy sense of romantic writing and image. What a treat! Please keep up the good work. But may I add two points if possible. "The Yellow Wallpaper" movie, was never going to come out in 2007 2008 or 09. It has, in fact, been in prodution during that time and I'm happy to say, only now, finished. Media release dates are always backwards, I don't know why ( you'd think they'd just call the production office) but there in you have it. So I hope that the film appeals to the very people who come to this site. I know we're very proud of it. I hope you will be too. BTY, that first still at the very top, isn't from my movie ;)

    Logan Thomas
    11:27pm pst
    03/05/2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan,
    Thank you for your nice comments about the site and for the corrections. I have taken out the wrong information, and am thrilled that this will be coming out soon.
    Yes, I have been watching the dates on imdb for your movie since 2007! I am glad to get the correct information about your film - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'd like to follow through with an update about The Yellow Wallpaper. We have begun the studio courtship dance and the big festival circuit. I'm happy to tell you that there is FILMAKER HOSTED, FACEBOOK PAGE "The Yellow Wallpaper (offical movie page)". We will post stills from the movie, events, releases, and even try to answer film and lit. questions for those interested. The page is brand new and we hope you'll come to visit us. Keep up the great work on your wonderful site.

    Logan

    ReplyDelete