Thursday, March 17, 2011

Crave the Rose


"But he that dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose." ~Anne Bronte

The wisdom of this quote was never more real than this afternoon as I sat on the ground weeding a smallish rose garden. Rather than me grasping it, it grasped me. But I crave the June rose too much to stay away.

Anne's roses were untamed wild-grown moorland blooms, smelling woodsy and sweet. Mine are lovely, and at least partially tame, hybrids. Just like their unbridled cousins, every cultivated rose retains some wildness, wearing their hooky thorns like talons, ready at any moment to tear into any flesh that happens by them, leaving behind a wound that craves time.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this quote. It's profound in that it can also be symbolic of life itself...of thorny but irresistable treasures we crave in life...relationships, goals, beauty, joy, the list goes on. The quote just captures the bittersweetness of life.

    ReplyDelete