Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why Literature?

Why literature, and not comic books?
Why literature, and not Harlequin romances?
Why literature, and not science fiction?


Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree.
~Ezra Pound

I doubt if anything learnt at school is of more value than great literature learnt by heart. ~Richard Livingstone

When you re-read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before.
~Clifton Fadiman

The test of real literature is that it will bear repetition. We read over the same pages again and again, and always with fresh delight.
~Samual McChord Crothers


Photo by Mary Cassatt

5 comments:

  1. All literature wavers between nature and paradise and loves to mistake one for the other.
    ~Elias Canetti

    There is no better way to inform and expand your mind on a regular basis then to get into the habit of reading good literature. You can get into the best minds that are now or that have ever been in the world.
    ~Stephen R. Covey

    The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it.
    ~Elizabeth Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel more meaning to classic literature. There is something about its timelessness that speaks to me, as if these long-dead authors are merely future ghostly selves wiser than me. Of all the classics, I find "Little Women" to be the best. Simply because it's a story of home to me. I just cry and cry through that book. Not because I'm sad, but I fall in love with the story and my own life over and over again ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your line "fall in love with my own life" - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete